Thursday, May 2, 2019

I Feel Like a Proud Parent - 05/02/2019

I am probably still in the "honeymoon phase" but it's been 4 days and I still love it as much as I did at the beginning. Maybe it was listening to the second graders sing "Rainbow Connection" followed by rocking out to "Eye of the Tiger". Maybe it was seeing the kids throw paint at the wall during the art show. Maybe it was seeing the second and third graders helping the first graders and kindergarteners get into their backbends. Whatever it was, I have a whole new, greater appreciation for little people. They are so little, but so, so mighty. Look at that little lady I'm kneeling next to in the photo at the bottom of this post. 

I was busy running around to meetings with different people at Proctor this morning, but I got to Mr. Hubbard's third grade right around 10. It was just the usual math class. I think I am getting better at giving "clues" that still prompt them to think and problem solve, setting them on the right track without telling them too much. I am finding that the best way to make them think is to ask them questions that they know, and they slowly figure out different ways to solve the problem. Questions make the best clues. I was so so lucky that I got to be an honorary member of the Finley and Friends/Puppies and Pictures club today. Three of the third graders started a kindness club where they meet with the guidance counsellor every week. Today, I got to help them make fidgets out of rice and balloons for the whole third grade class. They also told me that they give hearts to people they see doing acts of kindness, and those hearts get to be traded in for eagles (rewards), which I LOVE. I think every community needs a kindness club.

In first grade, I spent a lot of the time helping Mr. Wiley take down old work off a bulletin board and stick up new work. Not surprisingly, I don't have a great eye for spacing and art, so I was out there stapling and re-stapling my messed up spacing. Ms Lane, the guidance counsellor, came it to talk about kindness. One of the things I love about this school that I don't remember having in my primary school, is that they have regular time dedicated to learning how to resolve conflicts, how to be kind, and all that good stuff. Personally, I think it's the most important skill to have, and teaching it from a young age is that best way to do it. 

During my afternoon block, I got to watch the rehearsal of the K-5 concert. Maybe it was seeing all the little munchkins that I know singing together, but something about being there just made me really happy and grateful that I can do this project. I've gotten to meet so many incredible kids. On top of all that, I get to pursue my passion of gymnastics, AND I get to teach Mandarin to them. Also, my third grade pal made a flour baby. That would be number 4. Another girl is bringing me a bag of flour tomorrow, and another one is bringing hers next week. What is it with these flour babies?? 
She's going to be big one day. Imagine that. 



The first session of gymnastics took place after school, and it went super well. Teaching gymnastics and Mandarin to kids has made me so much better at adapting and improvising. Anyone who knows me, especially anyone who has had me in class, knows that I need to know exactly what my plan is before I can get up and speak or act. I wrote out a whole plan (by the minute!!) for this gymnastics session, because I was a little nervous (but still super excited) about taking on a group of 8 gymnasts of such young ages. I ended up not even glancing at my plan, and the session went really well. I think the girls had fun. There were lots of laughs and smiles (and a lot of cheering *screaming*). I love the way that they cheer each other on (watch the video! I don't remember the last time I had that much energy after a school day). After that, I was teaching a private gymnastics lesson at Andover Hub. I've been working with her for 3/4 weeks now and she has improved so much. I feel like a proud parent watching her hit straight handstands all by herself. 
My long day ended with helping at the art show. I've been helping with prep for the last few weeks, and it was so cool to see it all come together. I got to help run a station where kids got to paint on a big wall together. I also got to see all my little friends, and meet lots of their parents! 

"Mom!! This is Lauren! She comes to our classroom and teaches me gymnastics and Mandarin!!" They are so awesome. 

Time: 9:43
Hours: 10
Total Hours: 33

6 comments:

  1. I love that you're teaching (and I adore those sugar babies :))) Keep up your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Lauren. I am so proud of you! Lucky kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all so fortunate to have you be part of our days. You are so generous with your time and spirit. I wish I was a ‘little person’ again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can AEMS sign you as a future teacher now? Sort of like some really great Freshmen in high school commit to play sports at a particular college?
    Thanks for your work with our children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Besides Snowy, I think that Puppies and Pictures Club is Ember's very favorite thing in the world. So glad you got to be part of it. Thanks for all your help with my kiddos this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your vivid descriptions and inclusion of photos really helps me imagine what your days at AEMS are like. Especially loved the video and seeing the gymnasts' enthusiasm for the activity...I can understand why you feel like the proud parent of so many!

    ReplyDelete